Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Sunday, declared Godwin Obaseki of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, winner of the Saturday’s governorship election in Edo State.
INEC’s Returning Officer for the election, Prof. Akpofure Rim-Rukeh, declared Obaseki winner of the election after polling a total of 307,955 vote to humble his closest challenger, Ize-Iyamu of the APC, who polled a total of 223,619 votes.
2. The Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has alleged foul play in the just-concluded governorship election in the state.
It, however, called on party members to stay calm while party leaders study the result and decide what is next.
3. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Lagos State chapter, says the re-election of Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has further strengthened its determination to win the 2023 governorship poll in Lagos State.
The party said on Sunday in Lagos that if the embattled Obaseki could surmount all the challenges to win, the party also could.
4. President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the outcome of the Edo State guber election.
Buhari in a statement made by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, congratulated Obaseki for his well-deserved victory.
5. Goodluck Jonathan, former President of Nigeria, on Sunday, congratulated the Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki over his reelection.
Jonathan urged Obaseki to set aside partisan politics while governing the state for the good of all and also commended the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for conducting a free and fair election in the state.
6. The Chairman of the PDP National Campaign Council for the Edo State Governorship election and Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, on Sunday, thanked the good people of Edo State for ending godfatherism in the state.
In a series of tweets on Twitter, Wike commended the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for conducting a free and fair election in the state and also the police for providing security.
7. The death has been announced of the Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris.
Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Eufai giving details about his death, said the Emir of Zazzau, died at 44 Military Hospital Kaduna after a brief illness.
8. Thunder on Saturday evening reportedly struck dead 15 cows at the outskirt of Ikogosi Ekiti community, Ekiti West Local Government area of Ekiti State.
The incident, according to Asaoye of Ikogosi, Chief Ayo Ademilua, was a natural occurrence, which he said was strange in the town.
9. A storey building on Sunday evening collapsed at Obosi town in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State, trapping a woman and her child.
While the woman, who is said to be 40 years old died instantly, her child reportedly survived, and is currently receiving treatment at St. Edward Hospital, where her mother was also deposited in the mortuary section of the same hospital.
10. One of the gang leaders terrorizing some parts of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital has been arrested.
Director-General, Oyo State Joint Security Task Force, popularly known as ‘Operation Burst’, Col. Oladipo Ajibola (rtd) confirmed the arrest of the gang leader.